PEEPS® Sugar Cookie Bars
'Tis the Season for Marshmallow goodness. These quick and delicious PEEPS® Sugar Cookie Bars are sure to be a fan-favorite at your holiday gatherings.
Ingredients for PEEPS® Sugar Cookie Bars:
- 2 sticks or 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 tsp fine salt
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 PEEPS® Marshmallow Trees, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spoon and level measured
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Christmas colored nonpareils and green food coloring
- Batch of PEEPS® Marshmallow buttercream frosting
Ingredients for PEEPS® Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup, 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 melted PEEPS® Marshmallow Trees, slightly cooled
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners’ powdered sugar (white powdered sugar)
- 2-3 tablespoons Heavy whipping cream
Instructions for PEEPS® Sugar Cookie Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, salt and sugar for 2-3 minutes on medium high speed until fluffy.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix again until combined.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat PEEPS® Marshmallow Trees for 15-20 seconds, just until they puff up. Be careful they will be hot. Add melted PEEPS® Marshmallow right into stand mixer and mix until combined. Scrape down sides and mix again.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder. Add in to wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Spread in a parchment lined 9X13 baking pan.
- Bake on middle rack for 18-20 minutes, the edges will be light golden brown. You want soft cookie bars so don’t over bake.
- Allow bars to cool completely and frost with green PEEPS® Marshmallow buttercream. Add sprinkles and cut into triangles, put a star sprinkle on top for Christmas trees. You can even add a PEEPS® Marshmallow Tree on top and enjoy.
Note: Use extreme caution when heating PEEPS® Marshmallow; they may be hot. Handle with care.
PEEPS® Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting:
- Cream your butter and salt in a stand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Once creamed, add your vanilla. Mix again for a minute.
- Scrape down sides and mix again for 30 seconds.
- Microwave PEEPS® Marshmallow in a microwave safe bowl for 15-30 seconds, just until they puff. Be careful, they will be hot. Add melted PEEPS® Marshmallow into butter and mix. Scrape down sides and mix again.
- Sift your powdered sugar to make sure there are no clumps and add it in. Place a towel over your mixer to prevent a powdered-sugar storm.
- Once mixed, add in your heavy whipping cream, starting with 1 tablespoon. You can always add more, but you can’t take it out. It should be the consistency of thick peanut butter. If you find it’s too soft, add in 1⁄4 cup extra powdered sugar to thicken it up. Be careful because it will begin to taste like straight powdered sugar if you add too much. Add more cream if too thick.
- Mix until fluffy, about 2 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Store unused buttercream in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.