PEEPS® Strawberry Spring Sheet Cake Recipe
Perfect for any Spring gathering, this colorful cake packs a big strawberry punch!
Vanilla Sheet Cake
(makes one 9×13 inch cake)
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can DIY your own by combining ½ cup milk with ½ tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar, and letting it sit on the counter for 10 minutes. Use immediately!
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 multi colored PEEPS® Brand Marshmallow Bunnies for topping (You can top this with as many PEEPS® Marshmallow Bunnies as you want, 9 or 12 work great for slicing sizes.)
(makes 2 cups – enough frosting for 1 sheet cake)
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, 5 to 6 berries depending on size
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Vanilla Sheet Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray your baking pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together your butter, sugar and eggs until well combined. Whisk in oil and vanilla. Whisk in buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, combine your flour, baking powder and salt, then whisk in your wets until smooth.
- Pour batter into your sprayed pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350°F until the cake is golden brown and toothpicks clean. Using oven mitts, remove from the oven and let cool completely in the pan.
- Spread your strawberry frosting on top of the sheet cake with a spatula, smoothing evenly to coat the whole surface. Top with multicolored PEEPS® Marshmallow Bunnies in whatever pattern you want! Cut into 3 rows of 3 squares. Wrap extra slices well in plastic and keep on the counter for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to one week.
- Cut off the tops of the strawberries with a butter knife, and then slice up – set aside.
- Starting on a low speed use a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to combine your butter and powdered sugar, 1 minute. Increase to a medium speed and whip until super smooth, about 3 minutes. Use your spatula to scrape the sides of your bowl well.
- Add strawberries and salt. Mix until combined and fluffy, about 1 minute
FYI: This frosting is OUT OF THIS WORLD. Only thing: you have to serve it the day you make and frost it, otherwise the strawberries get soggy and lose flavor!
Share a Photo
Share if you loved this recipe as is, or if you added your own #peepsonality.
Got a great recipe?
Share your favorite PEEPS-inspired recipe with us on Facebook and it could be featured on our website.