PEEPS® Snowy Chocolate Christmas Cake
Create your own winter wonderland scene and make our Snowy Chocolate Christmas Cake dessert recipe decorated with PEEPS® Brand Marshmallow Snowmen and sparkly snow-covered trees!
This will be a featured seasonal recipe on PEEPSONALITY® Live!, our series dedicated to showcasing PEEPS®-inspired recipes and crafts with fun, easy-to-follow tutorials that families can do together! Check us out on Instagram, @peepsbrand, on Tuesday, December 14 at 6:30PM to watch Chef Rebekah from Duncan Hines share this recipe live. If you miss the livestream, you can find the recorded event and see more PEEPSONALITY® Live! videos on our Youtube channel.
- PAM® Baking Spray
- 1 pkg (15.25 oz each) Duncan Hines® Classic Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 containers (16 oz each) Duncan Hines® Creamy Vanilla Frosting
- Light blue food coloring gel
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 mini candy canes, crushed
- 12 PEEPS® Brand Marshmallow Snowmen
- 5 sugar cones
- Sanding sugar, coarse sparkling sugar, glitter flakes and/or edible glitter
- 6 additional mini candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with baking spray.
- Blend cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly into pans.
- Bake 24 to 28 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool chocolate cake layers on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- Place frosting in large bowl and stir in light blue food coloring until it reaches your desired color, about 1/2-teaspoon. Place 1/2-cup frosting in small bowl. Tear 4 PEEPS® Snowmen into small pieces and stir into small bowl of frosting along with mini chocolate chips and crushed candy canes.
- Place one cooled cake layer on serving plate. Spread chocolate chip frosting evenly over. Top with second cake layer. Frost entire cake with blue frosting, reserving about 1/2-cup for decorating trees.
- Carefully cut sugar cones to different heights using a sharp serrated knife. Frost cones with blue frosting and decorate each one with sparkling sugar, coarse sugar, edible glitter, or glitter flakes. Place cones on top of cake.
- Insert toothpicks into bottom of two PEEPS® Snowmen and place on top of cake. Decorate top with more sprinkles to look like snow all over. Press remaining PEEPS® Snowmen and mini candy canes onto sides of cake. Slice chocolate layer cake and serve.