PEEPS® Gift Box Cake
The gift of cake will always be one that is well received! So make our PEEPS® Gift Box Cake with moist red velvet cake, fluffy cream cheese frosting, and decorate with a fondant bow and PEEPS® Marshmallow Gingerbread Men.
- PAM® Baking Spray
- 1 pkg (15.25 oz each) Duncan Hines® Signature Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pkg (8.8 oz each) red fondant
- 2 containers (14 oz each) Duncan Hines® Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 PEEPS® Brand Marshmallow Gingerbread Men
- Colored sugar sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 8-inch square metal pans with baking spray.
- Blend cake mix, water, eggs, and oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer on speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly into pans.
- Bake 20 to 23 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely.
- Dust your counter with a little bit of confectioners’ sugar. Knead fondant until it’s soft and pliable. Roll fondant out until it’s very thin and at least 16 inches long, it doesn’t need to be a perfect length at this point.
- Place one cooled cake layer on serving plate. Spread about 1/2-cup frosting on cake; top with second cake layer and frost cake entirely.
- Cut 1-inch-wide strips of the fondant long enough to go down the side and edge to edge of the cake. Place on cake to make it look like it is a gift wrapped with ribbon. Cut fondant to the correct length after you have attached it to your cake. Make a 10-inch strip of fondant and adhere the two ends together to make a circle. Wrap a thinner piece of fondant around the center of the circle to make bow loops. Cut 2 more strips of fondant to finish the bow and place bow on top of cake.
- Place PEEPS® Gingerbread Men around the sides of the cake. Decorate the top of your gift box cake with sugar sprinkles, slice, and serve!