back to all recipes
Ghosts in a Graveyard Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ devil’s food cake mix
- Water, oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- Betty Crocker™ black decorating gel or icing
- Betty Crocker™ orange or white decorating gel or icing
- 4 oval-shaped chocolate-filled vanilla sandwich cookies
- 3 miniature chocolate candy bars
- 1 container Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
- 4 PEEPS® Marshmallow Ghosts
- 4 toothpicks
- 58 pretzel sticks
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Spray 2 (8- or 9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms of pans with cooking parchment paper, if desired, to prevent sticking.
- Make and bake cake as directed on box for two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, use black and orange gel or icing to write RIP on oval-shaped cookies and miniature candy bars; set aside.
- On serving plate, place 1 cake layer, rounded side down. Frost top of cake layer with about 1/3 cup of the chocolate frosting. Top with second layer, rounded side up. Frost side and top of cake with remaining frosting.
- Sprinkle chocolate cookie crumbs on top of cake to make dirt. Insert cookies and candy bars into top of cake for tombstones. Insert 1 end of toothpick into bottom of each ghost-shaped marshmallow. Insert other end into top of cake.
- Break 8 of the pretzel sticks into thirds. Use whole pretzels and pretzel thirds to make a fence around edge of cake as shown in photo.