Churro Whoopie Pies with Dulce de Leche Cream
Perfect to make for any Fall event, these Whoopie Pies are a featured seasonal recipe on PEEPSONALITY® Live!, our series dedicated to showcasing PEEPS®-inspired recipes and crafts with fun, easy-to-follow tutorials that families can do together! You can find the recorded event and see more PEEPSONALITY® Live! videos on our Youtube channel.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Ground Cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 PEEPS® Marshmallow Ghosts or PEEPS® Marshmallow Pumpkins
- 10 ounces (1 1/4 packages) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup dulce de leche
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Mix flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat brown sugar and shortening in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until blended, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk on low speed just until blended. Cover and refrigerate batter at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix granulated sugar, remaining 3 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon salt in shallow dish or pie plate. Working quickly to maintain batter consistency, scoop cold batter using a medium cookie scoop (about 2-tablespoon size) and place in dish with cinnamon sugar mixture. Spoon sugar over top to coat completely. Carefully transfer coated batter to parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining batter, spacing about 3 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until cookies are puffed and lightly browned, turning sheets halfway through baking. Cool completely on baking pans.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, Place PEEPS® Marshmallow Ghosts or PEEPS® Marshmallow Pumpkins in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through. (Use caution when heating PEEPS® Marshmallows. They may be hot.) Stir until completely melted. Add cream cheese to bowl. Beat with electric mixer on high speed 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth and fluffy. Add dulce de leche; beat 2 to 3 minutes longer or until well blended and smooth. Cover and refrigerate filling 30 minutes.
- To assemble whoopie pies, spread or pipe filling onto flat side of half of the cookies (about 1/4 cup each). Top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to spread the filling. Store whoopie pies between layers of wax paper in airtight container in refrigerator up to 5 days.
Piping Instructions for Top Decor – Optional
- Start piping with tip 2A and orange buttercream. Start at the top of the whoopie pie. Have the tip almost touching the base and squeeze a large amount of buttercream, let it billow and pull in toward the middle, and then stop when you reach the center. Continue all the way around until you have a completed pumpkin top.
- Use tip 18 with brown buttercream to pipe the stem. Squeeze and pull up while squeezing and then stop. Pull the bag up for a little pumpkin stem.
- Use tip 5 and pipe small vines coming from the base of the stem.
You will need- Tip 2A, 18 and 5 for the pumpkin top.